Wednesday 11 November 2015

The death of Motley Crue

It has been an interesting week or two. When I returned to home after respite I was wiped out for a while; I spent almost all my time either sleeping or trying to find a position to either sit or lie in that didn't make me want to scream in pain. Then the pain decided to jump to another level altogether. Just to be really annoying, it jumped on the night I went to see Motley Crue and Alice Cooper at the Genting Arena, Birmingham.

Alice Cooper

Now, much as I love live music, my health issues make it very difficult for me to actually see any. Looking at my old tickets,  it appears that it has been four years since I last saw a live gig. Because I know that I am going to have after effects of a night out, I tend to make sure that it is a band that features in my top few. Alice Cooper has always been among my favourite musicians.




In fact, it was was a far better gig than the previous couple of times that I had seen him. Over the past twenty-five years I have seen Alice Cooper on numerous occasions, with a variety of musicians on stage and although he is always good this gig was one of the best I have been to.

Alice Cooper's band

I want to say that the staff at the Genting Arena are really well trained in dealing with customers with additional needs. The wheelchair section overlooks the standing area and, as you can see from the photos, has a great view of the stage. My photos were nowhere near as good as they were last time I went to a gig, but I had fun making memories of what was a fantastic night.




Nikki Sixx
 Motley Crue, on their last ever tour, were more amazing than ever. They have been fantastic every time I have seen them, but this time, wow. The energy in the arena was incredible and both Nikki Sixx (bass) and Vince Neil (vocals) seemed to be bouncing around like teenagers. Mick Mars (guitar) is not only a great guitarist, but a man that I admire for the way he deals with his own health issues. Having been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis as a teenager, an inflammatory form of arthritis, his spine has gradually seized and along with scoliosis, has further reduced his mobility. Despite the pain that he must have been in, he gave a great performance. As someone with health issues of my own, I know that our health does not define who we are and what we do with our lives, but it does affect our choices. For me, seeing someone with chronic pain performing in one of the most successful bands of their generation - and a generation or two after - is both fantastic and important. It reiterates that just because we have health conditions, we are still able to make the choices to live our lives our way.


Tommy Lee's drum-coaster
Tommy Lee and Vince Neil


There is never going to be a drum solo quite like Tommy Lee's drum-coaster. That was a seriously amazing spectacle; a drum solo where the drummer moves along a 'coaster and the drum platform spins upside down... I mean, I've seen some dramatic drum solos from Tommy Lee before, but this time it was something that is I cannot imagine anyone ever topping.




All in all, I really couldn't have imagined a better last gig from a band that has been around for such a large part of my life. It was emotional at the end of the gig; that final realisation that this was the last time that I would see a band who have always been so fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment