Friday 12 January 2018

What to do with insomnia?

What do you do when you've tried all the recommended actions by the experts in sleep and you're still awake - and getting more irritable by the second - hours after going to bed?

There are all sorts of suggestions out there from drinking warm milk to getting up and doing something different for ten minutes. Both of those are out for me. Milk tends to make my IBS symptoms flare up, while getting up and moving around is out for obvious reasons.

Tonight I opted to stay in the riser chair again. My husband has a bad cold which, when mixed with asthma, does not make for an easy night's sleep for him. I figured it was my turn to look after him and the best thing I could give him was some peace for the night.

The chair is easily as comfortable as the bed, as it is piled in pillows and blankets. Sleep, however, is choosing to evade me. I'd chase the bugger down and kick it's arse if that was possible. It isn't, so I've made do with reading, catching up with online gossip, listening to music with the hope of falling asleep. I also tried listening to an audiobook with the hopes of falling asleep. It's almost 7am and I am still awake. Tired, a wee bit irritable, but still awake.

I've read dozens of blog posts and advice columns telling me to lie in a certain direction and relax before bed-time. Been there, done that and it still isn't helping! Right now I would give a less favoured body part to be able to sleep, so if anyone out in planet blog has any unusual suggestions that I may not have tried before, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment